Reishi Mushroom Latte Recipe
Putting mushrooms to your beloved coffee? We know it sounds weird, but when you discover what these medicinal, adaptogenic mushrooms can do for you, you’re going to switch that thought into ‘Why didn’t I do this before?’
Mushrooms are more than a top-wellness trend. For thousands of years, Chinese and Tibetan medicine have used them as a health superfood for their adaptogenic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiviral, and immune-enhancing properties. So why not reap these benefits and add them to your favourite brew without sacrificing its great taste?
Take some time to invest in yourself and indulge with a nourishing wellness blend that holds your hand as it helps you out of bed. Today, we got you a delicious 5-minute reishi mushroom latte recipe to add to your wellness, immune-boosting routine that may even be your next love.
But first, let’s dive a little bit more into the science behind medicinal mushrooms to understand where the benefits come from.
- Medicinal mushrooms have been used for centuries in Chinese and Tibetan medicine due to their adaptogenic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiviral, and immune-enhancing properties. Adding medicinal mushroom extract powder to your coffee can provide these health benefits without sacrificing taste.
- Mushroom lattes offer low-calorie options that are rich in fibre, protein, B vitamins, selenium, potassium, copper, and vitamin D. Different mushroom extracts provide specific benefits, such as cordyceps for performance enhancement, chaga for antioxidants and immunity, lion's mane for brain function, and focus, and reishi for stress relief and vitality.
- Making your own mushroom latte allows you to have control over the ingredients, adjust the quantity of extracts, ensure quality, avoid fillers, and customize the flavour profile. Choosing high-quality mushroom extracts and reducing waste from pre-made packets are additional advantages.
- Pregnant individuals should consult with a medical professional before consuming mushroom coffee due to caffeine and other ingredient considerations.
What is a Mushroom Latte?
In simple words, a mushroom latte is a variation of the classic coffee constructed with the three pillar ingredients: espresso, steamed milk, and medicinal mushroom extract powder.
On top of that, you can pair it with other optional add-ins like spices, cacao powder, coconut cream, and other health-boosting ingredients like maca and MCT oil (or coconut oil).
Besides their healing and nutritional properties, the best thing about these healthy drinks is that they don’t taste like mushrooms at all. In addition, the extracts used in these mushroom lattes are organic and vegan.
They don't contain gluten or sugar, so you can feel free to customize your brew according to your needs and likes while enjoying its benefits and supporting your metabolism.
Are Mushroom Lattes Safe?
Mushroom lattes can have unique nutritional benefits depending on the mushroom extract powder you add. In this case, reishi is highly known for supporting adrenal gland functions, which secrete the body’s primary stress hormone: Cortisol.
Research has shown how reishi mushrooms can protect us against stress-induced anxiety and exercise-induced bodily damage while boosting the immune system to fight infections. Other studies have explored how it can increase focus, promote a better mood, and help encourage better sleep.
Along with reishi, adaptogenic mushrooms reduce the adverse effects of stress on our bodies by increasing our body’s resistance to the signs of physical, biological, and chemical stress while promoting recovery. Additionally, they decrease inflammation, lower blood sugar and cholesterol levels, boost your immune system, and increase antioxidants.
In fact, people in Asia have used mushrooms as food and teas for thousands of years. Furthermore, they have documented their safety in the scientific literature, especially when only consuming a few grams of a mushroom extract powder.
Often, medicinal mushrooms are wrongly confused with psychedelic or “magic mushrooms.” Neither of these mushrooms contains psilocybin, the psychoactive compound of “shrooms,” responsible for causing the high feeling.
Adaptogenic mushrooms are legal and safe to consume when enjoyed in correct doses. However, overindulging can occasionally cause side effects, including headaches and dizziness.
That being said, when purchasing supplements, look for how they are processed because that will affect their efficacy. Organic Mushroom Powder Extract Superfood 10 Supplement) and Takii Umami Powder are perfect examples of a high-quality concentrated powder. Add it to your food or beverages daily to improve your immunity in a way that no pharmaceutical drugs can.
Are Mushroom Lattes Good For You?
Among the wonders that mushrooms offer, their nutritional value stands out. They are low in calories and are excellent sources of fibre and protein. At the same time, they are sources of B vitamins, selenium, potassium, copper and vitamin D, especially if they have been exposed to the sun.
Besides complementing the flavour of your great-tasting brew, mushroom extracts provide a longer-lasting energy boost than a regular cup of coffee. Depending on which extracts you add, you’ll get different nutritional benefits.
For example, cordyceps is the best mushroom for upgrading your performance and increasing your oxygen flow. Chaga increases antioxidants, overall wellness, and immunity. Lion’s mane improves brain function and focus. Meanwhile, reishi eases stress, increases vitality and promotes heart health.
These beneficial impacts are just a sample of what a mushroom latte recipe can do for you. We owe over 100 favourable effects to the active compounds in real mushrooms, such as beta-d-glucans, triterpenoids, ergosterol, ergothioneine, and diverse polysaccharides.
Not only do these compounds modulate the immune system, improve gut health and increase antioxidant levels; research has also identified more than 200 conditions in which mushroom consumption can help mitigate its effects. Once they enter our body, they adapt and respond to our systems, helping us manage stress and regulate our hormones levels to restore balance.
Reasons to Make Your Own Mushroom Latte
Besides having full control over what you’re ingesting, these are the reasons why you should make your own mushroom latte.
- In terms of flavour and nutritional quality, making your own mushroom latte with freshly brewed coffee is way better than just adding pre-made dietary mushroom packets to an instant coffee mix.
- You can trust the source of all of the ingredients you’re adding to your latte.
- You can control and adjust the exact quantity of each extracts and health-boosting ingredients you’re getting you’re mixing into your coffee.
- You will be completely sure that the supplement you are getting is not diluted with fillers.
- You can choose your own high-quality mushroom extracts, like Om Mushroom Superfood Master Blend, which takes your latte to a whole new level with its ten mushroom species, plus three botanical adaptogens for optimal performance and vibrant health.
- You can customize your latte with a specific flavour profile
- You can reduce the excess waste from premade, single-use mixed packets and save some money on the process.
Can I Drink Mushroom Coffee While Pregnant?
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommends limiting caffeine consumption to fewer than 200 milligrams (mg) per day during pregnancy. That said, is it important to notice that:
- An 8-ounce cup of brewed coffee has around 70–140 mg of caffeine while the same amount of instant mushroom coffee has approximately 50 milligrams of caffeine
- For our mushroom latte recipe, we use one shot of espresso, which has 63mg of caffeine.
As you can see, mushroom coffee contains less than your average cup of joe, so we can assume that on the caffeine side, these beverages are safe during pregnancy. Nevertheless, it is crucial to be aware of other ingredients contained in the coffee as well.
Some organic mushroom blends include different herbs like tulsi (holy basil), which stimulates blood flow to the uterus and pelvic area, causing contractions. For this reason, proceed with caution, being sure of verifying all ingredients and ensuring quality first.
Currently, there is no research on mushroom coffee during pregnancy, so it’s best to refer to a medical professional before introducing these types of products while you’re pregnant or breastfeeding.
How to Make Reishi Mushroom Latte
Alleviate your stress without the mushroom taste! Let us show you how easy it is to make a creamy and delicious reishi mushroom latte at home for a cozy evening wind down. This reishi mushroom latte recipe will only take you 5 minutes, and we’re sure you’re going to love it. Next thing you know, you’ll be adding mushroom powders to your hot chocolate, smoothies, and beyond!
Serving Size: 1 Latte
Prep Time: 4 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 minute
Total Time: 5 minutes
Cuisine Type: Gluten-Free, Vegan
- 1 cup dairy-free milk like cashew, almond, or coconut milk
- One-shot espresso, or 1/3 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 tsp mushroom powder (we recommend Organic Reishi Mushroom Powder or USDA Organic Mega Mushroom Complex Powder)
- One pinch of ground cinnamon
- One pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp MCT oil, coconut oil, or coconut butter (optional, but recommended)
- 1 tsp maple syrup, or
- 1-2 drops of stevia, or
- 1 tsp honey
Other Optional Add-Ins:
- Other spices: cardamom, nutmeg, ginger, etc. Chai spices would also work.
- ½ tsp maca powder or other superfood powders.
- 1 tsp cacao powder for a mocha twist plus added antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
- Whipped cream or coconut cream.
- Small saucepan
- Blender, immersion blender, or milk frother
- Steam or heat dairy-free milk until hot and add it to the blender along with the espresso or coffee.
- Add mushroom powder, the sweetener option of your choice, cinnamon, sea salt, and any other optional add-ins to the blender.
- Blend on high for 1 minute, or until it looks well-blended and frothy.
- Taste and adjust flavour as needed. Add more cinnamon, sweetener, or coffee to your liking.
- Serve as is, or top with coconut whipped cream or cinnamon.
- Even though this reishi mushroom latte recipe is best when fresh, you can store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. You can reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- Blending the warm liquid in a high-speed blender turns it into a delicious frothy beverage. Nevertheless, if it doesn't incorporate as well into the latte, sip it slowly so you can infuse the medicinal powders.
- Another option is to throw the powder into your dairy-free milk of choice while it's simmering or warming up to help infuse all of the good benefits of medicinal mushrooms.
Nutrition Per Serving
Iced Mushroom Latte Recipe
- Follow the same steps above but use cold dairy-free milk instead and pour some ice cubes over.
- For a thicker, Frappe-style coffee drink, blend your cold mushroom latte with a few ice cubes or half a frozen banana. Absolutely delicious!
Believe it or not, we are more closely related to fungi than to any other kingdom. It's time to take full advantage of the beneficial compounds that mushrooms offer to boost your immune system and regulate all your body functions.
Reishi not only reduces the adverse effects of stress on your immunity but also has natural antiviral and antimicrobial effects. Add them to your wellness routine, either in your food or drinks, and reach your body's peak performance.
Preorder and save 20% for a limited time
- Epinephrine to increase alertness
- Acetylcholine to direct attention
- Dopamine to create rewards that are necessary for ongoing focus
Developed by scientists over 2 years, TUNE IN's formula of nootropics, adaptogens, vitamins, and functional mushrooms increases focus, energy, memory, and recall in minutes.
Just mix it, sip it, and crush your to-do list.
We’ve worked with nutritional experts, supplement chemists, and testing labs to develop a highly effective formula that is more powerful, and better tasting than anything available on the market. Here's what we use:
Lion’s Mane, Cordyceps, Ashwagandha Extract, Rhodiola Rosea Root Extract, Alpha GPC, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B, Vitamin B, Vitamin B1, TeaCrine®, BioPerine®, Stevia Extract, Natural Flavors
Only 30 calories per serving. So it’s easy to fit in your daily calories if you’re trying to lose fat or maintain weight.
Each serving only has 30 mg of caffeine. That's less than half of the caffeine in a cup of coffee, which usually has between 70-100mg. So if you're sensitive to caffeine don't worry. If you're a coffee lover it also means you don't need to skip your morning brew.
No Artificial flavours here. We only use all-natural sugars like cane sugar and stevia. We offer two thirst quenching flavors: Strawberry Lemonade or Tropical Punch.
This performance drink is free from gluten, nuts, soy, corn, dairy, and GMOs. It's also vegan, keto, and paleo friendly.
Looking for alternatives to Four Sigmatic? Check out this guide for a list of other brands that offer similar functional mushroom products and beverages.
Improving your long-term memory can be achieved through various techniques and strategies. Discover effective tips and methods to enhance your ability to retain and recall information for the long term.
MNM supplements offer a wide range of benefits, including improved energy levels, enhanced muscle recovery, and support for overall health. Discover the various advantages of incorporating MNM supplements into your daily routine.
Sign up to our productivity newsletter
and get 10% off your first order.