Mushroom Coffee Recipe
If you need a cup of coffee to embrace the day, there’s something to make it even better. Switch to mushroom coffee. This blend of mushrooms and coffee will be perfect to start your day and ensure your overall health for years.
- Mushroom coffee is a blend of mushrooms and coffee with an earthy and nutty flavor. It offers numerous health benefits, including immune system support, cortisol level control, improved cognitive function, reduced anxiety, and better sleep due to lower caffeine content.
- Making your own mushroom coffee allows for better flavor, nutritional quality, and control over mushroom extracts and coffee. It is more eco-friendly and cost-effective than pre-packed options.
- Mushroom coffee may aid in weight loss by regulating blood sugar, providing caffeine for weight loss, and offering ergothioneine for increased energy and stamina during exercise. Pregnant women should avoid mushroom coffee due to potential risks to fetal development.
What is Mushroom Coffee?
Mushroom coffee is the ‘in’ healthy beverage, but it isn’t new. Medicinal mushrooms have been incorporated into tea and coffee for centuries. In fact, they were used as a coffee substitute in Finland during World War II.
But while pre-packed blends of mushroom coffee are available, most prefer DIY mushroom coffee. That way, they can mix their favorite mushroom extracts with regular coffee to make mochas, lattes, and more.
What Does it Taste Like?
Even if you enjoy eating mushrooms, the idea of having them with your coffee may sound unappealing. Thankfully, you don’t have to worry about that.
Mushroom coffee has an earthy and nutty flavor. However, you may not detect this since the taste of the coffee is more powerful, especially if you choose stronger coffee such as espresso.
Is Mushroom Coffee Safe?
The benefits and safety of mushrooms have been documented over the years in scientific literature. So, unless you’re allergic to mushrooms, consuming a few grams won’t lead to major side effects.
To further ensure the safety of your mushroom coffee, make your own with high-quality, pure, organic mushroom extract. Just remember to consult with your physician to ensure it doesn’t interact with other medicines you’re on.
Is Mushroom Coffee Good for You?
Mushroom coffee has been used for centuries because of its numerous health benefits. These include:
- Supporting the Immune System: mushrooms are rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other compounds that can boost your immune system.
- Controlling Cortisol Levels: as adaptogens, mushrooms may help level out the stress hormone cortisol in your blood. This, in turn, may reduce stress while countering other issues such as mood swings, trauma, and pain.
- Improving Cognitive Function: for centuries, mushrooms have been used to help improve memory and concentration. And since they’re combined with caffeine, expect to have razor-sharp focus.
In addition to the above, mushroom coffee will allow you to feel less anxious and sleep better. That’s because it has less caffeine than your regular cup of joe.
Reasons to Make your own Mushroom Coffee
You may wonder why you should opt for DIY mushroom coffee when you can purchase pre-packed pods, blends, and sachets. That’s because you’ll be missing the following five benefits.
- Adding mushroom extracts to your coffee ensures a better flavor and more nutritional quality than premade blends.
- You get to choose which mushroom extracts you want to add to your coffee. You can even have more than one since some powders combine several mushroom extracts.
- You have more control over your coffee and its flavor. Not only can you adjust the amount of mushroom extract, but you can also use freshly roasted coffee beans.
- By using high-quality mushroom extracts, you’ll enjoy their benefits directly minus any fillers.
- DIY mushroom coffee is more eco-friendly than premade, single-use packets. It’s also more cost-effective.
Mushroom Coffee for Weight Loss
Mushroom coffee may help you lose those stubborn pounds.
First, it helps regulate blood sugar. Excess sugar in the body can turn into fat when unused. And with time, the unused fats can lead to obesity.
Consuming mushroom coffee may normalize blood sugar to help you keep the fat off. The caffeine in coffee will further help you lose weight.
Mushrooms also contain ergothioneine, a powerful antioxidant that can increase your energy levels and provide great stamina. These will come in handy while you exercise.
Learn more by reading reading our article on maitake mushrooms for weight loss.
Does Mushroom Coffee Break a Fast?
If you’re fasting intermittently, you can easily enjoy a cup of mushroom coffee guilt-free. In fact, it’ll curb your appetite until your next meal while keeping your energy levels high. Just make sure not to add sugar or cream, as these will break your fast.
Can I Drink Mushroom Coffee While Pregnant?
Unfortunately, there aren’t enough studies proving the safety of mushroom coffee for pregnant women.
Moreover, some medicinal mushrooms have endocrine activity, affecting the fetus’ hormonal development. Higher doses of certain mushrooms may also result in bleeding in women with a low platelet count.
We take a closer look at the information if Lion's Mane is safe during pregnancy here.
How to Make Mushroom Coffee
Picture this – waking up to an aromatic cup of coffee that won’t only jumpstart your day. But it’ll give you the healthy body you’ve always wanted. All you need to do is follow this recipe for excellent flavor and all the benefits you read about.
Serving Size: 1
Prep Time: 4 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 minute
Total Time: 5 minutes
- Calories: 130
- Carbohydrates:14.2 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated fat: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 20 mg
- Sodium: 354 mg
- Potassium: 391 mg
- Fiber: 0.2 g
- Sugar: 11 g
- Calcium: 303 mg
- Iron: 0 mg
Cuisine Type: Gluten-free
- Kettle or small pot to steam/heat the milk
- 1 tsp mushroom powder
- 1 shot espresso
- 1 cup reduced fat milk
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch sea salt
Step by Step Instructions
- Blend the mushroom powder, cinnamon, and sea salt.
- Steam or heat the milk, then add it to the blender along with the espresso shot.
- Blend the milk, coffee, and mushroom concoction on high for 30-60 seconds or until frothy.
- Serve fresh.
You can store the leftovers for up to two days. Simply reheat your coffee in the microwave or stovetop. You can also add cocoa powder for a little extra flavor.
Just remember to have fun in the process! Because what’s mushroom coffee if not therapeutic for your mind and mood?
Preorder and save 20% for a limited time
- Epinephrine to increase alertness
- Acetylcholine to direct attention
- Dopamine to create rewards that are necessary for ongoing focus
Developed by scientists over 2 years, TUNE IN's formula of nootropics, adaptogens, vitamins, and functional mushrooms increases focus, energy, memory, and recall in minutes.
Just mix it, sip it, and crush your to-do list.
We’ve worked with nutritional experts, supplement chemists, and testing labs to develop a highly effective formula that is more powerful, and better tasting than anything available on the market. Here's what we use:
Lion’s Mane, Cordyceps, Ashwagandha Extract, Rhodiola Rosea Root Extract, Alpha GPC, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B, Vitamin B, Vitamin B1, TeaCrine®, BioPerine®, Stevia Extract, Natural Flavors
Only 30 calories per serving. So it’s easy to fit in your daily calories if you’re trying to lose fat or maintain weight.
Each serving only has 30 mg of caffeine. That's less than half of the caffeine in a cup of coffee, which usually has between 70-100mg. So if you're sensitive to caffeine don't worry. If you're a coffee lover it also means you don't need to skip your morning brew.
No Artificial flavours here. We only use all-natural sugars like cane sugar and stevia. We offer two thirst quenching flavors: Strawberry Lemonade or Tropical Punch.
This performance drink is free from gluten, nuts, soy, corn, dairy, and GMOs. It's also vegan, keto, and paleo friendly.
Looking for alternatives to Four Sigmatic? Check out this guide for a list of other brands that offer similar functional mushroom products and beverages.
Improving your long-term memory can be achieved through various techniques and strategies. Discover effective tips and methods to enhance your ability to retain and recall information for the long term.
MNM supplements offer a wide range of benefits, including improved energy levels, enhanced muscle recovery, and support for overall health. Discover the various advantages of incorporating MNM supplements into your daily routine.
Sign up to our productivity newsletter
and get 10% off your first order.