Mushroom Matcha Latte Recipe
You're probably already familiar with matcha lattes—but have you tried mushroom matcha lattes? They're a fun new way to enjoy the health benefits of matcha and combine them with the amazing and powerful functional mushrooms. Plus, they're guaranteed to please your taste buds.
- Mushroom matcha lattes combine the health benefits of matcha with functional mushrooms like chaga or reishi, offering numerous advantages.
- The taste of the latte is similar to regular matcha but with an earthy twist due to the roasted and ground mushroom powder. Different mushroom varieties can result in varying flavor profiles, with shiitake having a strong taste and oyster mushrooms being milder.
- The latte is easy to make at home or can be purchased as ready-made packets. It provides a delicious and nutritious way to start the day, keeping you full until lunchtime and providing ample energy. Additionally, it's a suitable option for those trying to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight range due to its low-calorie content.
What is a Mushroom Latte?
These mushrooms are also extremely beneficial when consumed raw or cooked because they contain powerful antioxidants like beta-glucans and polysaccharides that support immune function and cardiovascular health.
The idea for the mushroom latte came from the traditional chaga tea popular in Russia and Eastern Europe. Chaga tea is made by steaming or boiling chunks of chaga mushrooms in water for several hours until all of the nutrients are extracted. The resulting liquid is then strained and consumed as a beverage.
While you can make your mushroom latte using a recipe like this, some companies sell ready-made versions that you can purchase online or at local stores. Many of these products come in single-serving packets that contain everything you need to make your latte at home.
Types of Mushrooms for Matcha Latte
There are many different types of mushrooms you can use for your mushroom latte, including:
- Chanterelles: These are the most expensive type of mushroom on this list, so they're great if you want to add them as a garnish or if you're making something fancy. Their flavor is mild and earthy, with subtle hints of pine and citrus. They go well in soups or salads.
- Shiitake: These mushrooms have a rich flavor that's reminiscent of meat and soy sauce. They're also quite hearty—they keep their shape even when cooked slowly over a long period of time. They're perfect for braising or stir-frying!
- Maitake: These mushrooms are also used in Japanese cooking, but they're not as common as shiitake mushrooms. Try adding maitake mushrooms to your next batch if you're looking for something different from your usual latte!
What Does it Taste Like?
When making a mushroom matcha latte recipe, you might wonder if it at least tastes like a regular matcha latte. The truth is, the flavor is pretty similar, but with an earthy twist due to its ingredients: dried mushrooms that have been roasted and ground into powder form.
The taste will vary depending on the type of mushrooms used in making the latte — shiitake has a strong taste. In contrast, oyster mushrooms have a milder flavor than other varieties of mushrooms you can use for your latte.
Is a Mushroom Matcha Latte Right for You?
If you're looking for a delicious way to start your day, it might be time to give this mushroom matcha latte recipe a try. This combination of matcha powder, mushrooms, and tea is delicious and nutritious. It's also easy to make at home with just a few extra ingredients.
Mushroom Latte Benefits
The benefits of the mushroom latte are countless and include:
- Boosting immune function: The mushroom latte may boost your immune system by activating macrophages, which are cells that fight off infections and disease. Mushrooms also contain beta-glucans, which have been shown to have incredible antioxidant activity. This means that they help prevent damage from free radicals in your body, reducing your risk for many different diseases.
- Improving heart health: Several studies have shown that mushrooms may lower cholesterol levels and triglycerides (a type of fat found in the blood). This may reduce your risk of heart disease.
- Low Calorie: A mushroom matcha latte is an ideal breakfast option for people trying to lose weight or maintain their current weight if they are already at a healthy weight range (BMI 18-24). One cup of this mushroom latte contains only 234 calories, making it a low-calorie option for those who want to make the most of their morning without sacrificing nutrition or taste.
- Aids Digestion: Mushrooms are rich in fiber that helps keep our digestive system regular. This is especially beneficial for people with constipation or diarrhoea issues.
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties: The anti-inflammatory properties of mushrooms have been well-studied, and they might just be the key to preventing many diseases. Mushrooms contain nutrients such as polysaccharides and ergothioneine, which are shown to reduce inflammation in the body.
- High Antioxidant Content: Mushrooms contain high antioxidants, which help prevent free radical damage in your body. This may help slow down the effects of aging, reduce inflammation, and improve skin health.
- High Protein Content: Mushrooms are low in calories but high in protein, making them an excellent food choice for those looking to lose weight while maintaining muscle mass. One hundred grams of mushrooms contains approximately 5 grams of protein, equivalent to 2 slices of chicken breast or 3 oz. of salmon.
Mushroom Matcha Latte Recipe
Serving size: 2-4
Estimated cost: $7.75
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Cuisine type: Asian, Japanese
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup sliced raw mushrooms (any variety)
- 1/3 cup cashews (soaked overnight)
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Baking sheet
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Whisk or fork
Step by Step
- Blend the cashews, mushrooms, coconut oil, and vanilla extract until smooth. Set aside.
- Place the mushrooms on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake at 350°F for 8 minutes or until golden browned. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Bring 1/2 cup of water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add matcha powder, honey, vanilla extract, and sea salt, and whisk until combined.
- Remove from heat; add cashews mixture and whisk until combined.
- Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a mug; top with sliced raw mushrooms, and enjoy!
We hope you enjoyed learning about the delicious mushroom matcha latte—and, of course, we hope that you'll try making it for yourself!
Preorder and save 20% for a limited time
A mental performance drink that helps ambitious people focus instantly.
Your daily all-in-one stack of adaptogens, vitamins, and functional mushrooms. Simply mix it, sip it, and start crushing your to do lists.
✓ Instant Focus and Clarity
✓ All-Day Energy
✓ Juicy Fruit Flavor
We’ve worked with nutritional experts, supplement chemists, and testing labs to develop a highly effective formula that is more powerful, and better tasting than anything available on the market. Here's what we use:
Lion’s Mane, Cordyceps, Ashwagandha Extract, Rhodiola Rosea Root Extract, Alpha GPC, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B, Vitamin B, Vitamin B1, TeaCrine®, BioPerine®, Stevia Extract, Natural Flavors
Only 30 calories per serving. So it’s easy to fit in your daily calories if you’re trying to lose fat or maintain weight.
Each serving only has 30 mg of caffeine. That's less than half of the caffeine in a cup of coffee, which usually has between 70-100mg. So if you're sensitive to caffeine don't worry. If you're a coffee lover it also means you don't need to skip your morning brew.
No Artificial flavours here. We only use all-natural sugars like cane sugar and stevia. We offer two thirst quenching flavors: Strawberry Lemonade or Tropical Punch.
This performance drink is free from gluten, nuts, soy, corn, dairy, and GMOs. It's also vegan, keto, and paleo friendly.
Looking to unlish your mind's full potential? Click here to see our selection of the best supplements for energy and focus.
Discover the best way to cook lion's mane mushrooms for a delicious and nutritious meal. Explore different cooking techniques and recipes to bring out the unique flavor and texture of this popular gourmet mushroom.
Sign up to our productivity newsletter
and get 10% off your first order.