Does Lion's Mane Make You Sleepy?
There’s almost nothing that lion’s mane mushroom can’t help you with. And no, this isn’t an exaggeration. From improving cognitive function to possibly fighting cancer, this fungus can do wonders for your health.
The question is – does it make you sleepy?
- Lion's mane mushroom offers numerous health benefits, including potential prevention of cognitive decline, promotion of a better mood, quicker recovery from nervous system injuries, and support for heart health.
- Lion's mane may improve sleep quality, particularly during the REM phase, and aid in neurological rejuvenation. That said, it does not have any particular sleep-enhancing properties.
- Lion's mane can be incorporated into your diet in various forms, such as powder, tinctures, capsules & tablets, or whole mushrooms. Consider your preferences and routines when choosing the form of supplementation.
Benefits of Lion’s Mane Mushroom
Lion’s mane, or hericium erinaceus, is a mushroom that grows on the hardwood trees in North America, Europe, and Asia. It’s white, hairy, and quite tasty. In fact, it’s commonly used in different recipes to add a seafood-like flavor.
Culinary uses aside, the lion’s mane is known for its medical uses in East Asian countries such as China. The mushroom contains bioactive substances that enable it to deliver the following benefits.
May Prevent Cognitive Decline
Several studies found that lion’s mane may help prevent cognitive decline and memory loss.
Compounds in the mushroom help the brain grow and form new connections. This usually declines with age, impacting mental functioning in older adults.
Promotes a Better Mood
With its anti-inflammatory properties, thin mushroom may help reduce the symptoms of mental these issues by promoting a better mood.
Moreover, it may help improve the hippocampus, the part responsible for emotional responses.
Promotes Quicker Recovery from Injuries to the Nervous System
Injuries to any part of the nervous system can result in paralysis, loss of mental function, or other devastating consequences. However, lion’s mane may reduce recovery time by up to 41%.
Promotes Heart Health
The mushroom may help against obesity, cholesterol, and the risk of blood clots. These are among the factors which can increase the risk of heart disease. However, human studies are yet to fully confirm these benefits.
Helps Reduce Oxidative Stress
Inflammation and oxidative stress are associated with numerous diseases such as autoimmune disorders.
Thankfully, this nootropic mushroom contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compounds that may help against these. These further protect the body and immune system from disease-causing pathogens.
How to Take Lion’s Mane Mushroom
If you’re intrigued by the benefits of lion’s mane, you can easily incorporate it into your diet using these forms.
- Powder – lion’s mane mushroom is available as loose powder. What makes this a great choice is that you can add it to recipes or your favorite drinks. This option may also be more cost-effective as you can easily get products offering 50+ servings. Just remember to properly measure the powder to get the recommended daily serving.
- Tinctures – lion’s mane tinctures allow you to get the bioactive nutrients usually locked away behind mushrooms’ tough exterior. These nutrients include beta-glucans, statins, and ergosterol. You can easily take tinctures neat or add them to beverages or soft foods.
- Capsules & Tablets – lion’s mane capsules and tablets offer ease, convenience, and flexibility. They also help you overcome any taste concerns you may have. And if you’re on the go, the compact size of these capsules allows you to pack and take them along.
- Whole – while it may not be an easy task, you can find whole lion’s mane mushrooms. You can then prepare and cook the mushroom or use it for brewing tea. And in case you’re wondering, eating it raw isn’t recommended.
Does Lion’s Mane Mushroom Make You Sleepy?
As an adaptogenic mushroom, lion's mane may reduce the effects of stress on your body. As a result, you may feel calm enough to enjoy better sleep.
The mushroom further regulates endocrine function to help you rest and wake up refreshed.
Moreover, a study noted that lion’s mane may improve sleep quality, especially during the rapid eye movement (REM) phase. That’s why the mushroom has been touted for its possible benefits for neurological rejuvenation.
But coming back to your question – no. Lion’s mane won’t make you feel sleepy. The mushroom doesn’t contain any sedatives or depressants that can make you sluggish.
So, whether you take your supplements before you sleep or during the day, you won’t be nodding off soon.
Can You Take Lion’s Mane at Night?
Despite lion’s mane not making you tired, you should take it before bed. That way, you can get some relief from occasional restlessness. This restlessness may be disrupting your body’s natural transition to a good night’s sleep.
On the other hand, the mushroom may improve your mood and help you ease into a restful sleep. It’ll further clear brain fog, allowing you to establish a balance between clarity and rest.
How to Take Lion’s Mane
With the basics covered, let’s detail how you can get the most from lion’s mane.
- When choosing a lion’s mane supplement, pick one that works with your routine. For instance, opt for powder if you don’t think you can handle the earthy taste of tea.
- Find out what the mushrooms used in your supplements were grown on. If it’s grown on starch, it may contain fillers. The easiest way to detect this is by checking the ingredients list for rice or starch.
- The best mushroom supplements will contain polysaccharides known as beta-glucans. Pick supplements with a high percentage of beta-glucans as they indicate higher quality and more benefits.
- Another important aspect to consider while buying mushroom capsules is the parts used. Best quality supplements contain the fruiting body of the mushroom.
- If you plan to eat a fresh lion’s mane, remove the stem and wash thoroughly. You can then cook it however you like.
- To brew lion’s mane mushroom tea, steep dried or fresh mushrooms for 20 minutes. That will help you get all the goodness out.
- To make lion’s mane tea from powder, use an infuser or simply stir it in the mug. Let it steep for 10 minutes before drinking it.
- If you’re going to pick capsules or tablets, always purchase them from a reputable brand. Otherwise, you may end up with counterfeit capsules that do more harm than good.
- Take lion’s mane either in the morning or early afternoon. Avoid taking it late at night since its energizing properties may make you feel restless.
- If you have a sensitive stomach, avoid taking lion’s mane without your meals. Otherwise, go ahead. The mushroom is safe to take on an empty stomach.
How Much Lion’s Mane to Take
The dosage of lion’s mane will vary, especially as there are no recommendations for optimal dosage. However, you can check the following safe and effective doses based on the form of the supplement you choose.
But before you proceed, remember one thing - always adhere to the recommended doses on the labels of the products you purchase. You can get all the benefits you read about without facing any side effects.
If you’re planning to use lion’s mane powder, you should limit yourself to 250 mg to 750 mg per day. Preferably, divide this dose into three and mix it into your tea or coffee. Test this dose out for two weeks and discuss if you need to increase it with your physician.
Tincture dosages depend on the ratio of the weight of the mushroom versus the volume of solvent. If the tincture has a lower weight-to-volume ratio, it’ll be less potent. You’ll ideally need two squeezes of the dropper bulb for a 1:1 ratio tincture.
Capsules & Tablets
A typical dosage of this mushroom is 1,000 mg per day. Depending on the tablets or capsules you choose, you may need to take them 1-2 times every day.
When taking the mushroom whole, you can have 500 to 3,000 mg per day, depending on how you cook it.
Best Lion’s Mane Supplement
Now that you know how lion’s mane can transform your health, it’s time for you to bring it home. And we have just the thing for you - TUNE IN.
This powdered beverage provides a high-quality blend of adaptogens, nootropics, and medical herbs in addition to lion’s mane. Together, these all-natural extracts will strengthen and heal you physically and mentally.
So, don’t miss the chance to get all the benefits you read about and more with TUNE IN!
Preorder and save 20% for a limited time
A mental performance drink that helps ambitious people focus instantly.
Your daily all-in-one stack of adaptogens, vitamins, and functional mushrooms. Simply mix it, sip it, and start crushing your to do lists.
✓ Instant Focus and Clarity
✓ All-Day Energy
✓ Juicy Fruit Flavor
We’ve worked with nutritional experts, supplement chemists, and testing labs to develop a highly effective formula that is more powerful, and better tasting than anything available on the market. Here's what we use:
Lion’s Mane, Cordyceps, Ashwagandha Extract, Rhodiola Rosea Root Extract, Alpha GPC, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B, Vitamin B, Vitamin B1, TeaCrine®, BioPerine®, Stevia Extract, Natural Flavors
Only 30 calories per serving. So it’s easy to fit in your daily calories if you’re trying to lose fat or maintain weight.
Each serving only has 30 mg of caffeine. That's less than half of the caffeine in a cup of coffee, which usually has between 70-100mg. So if you're sensitive to caffeine don't worry. If you're a coffee lover it also means you don't need to skip your morning brew.
No Artificial flavours here. We only use all-natural sugars like cane sugar and stevia. We offer two thirst quenching flavors: Strawberry Lemonade or Tropical Punch.
This performance drink is free from gluten, nuts, soy, corn, dairy, and GMOs. It's also vegan, keto, and paleo friendly.
Looking to unlish your mind's full potential? Click here to see our selection of the best supplements for energy and focus.
Discover the best way to cook lion's mane mushrooms for a delicious and nutritious meal. Explore different cooking techniques and recipes to bring out the unique flavor and texture of this popular gourmet mushroom.
Sign up to our productivity newsletter
and get 10% off your first order.