Reishi Mushroom Benefits for Autism
Many individuals with autism, also called ASD, experience borderline problematic behaviors that often lead their families to explore clinical intervention and assessment for the betterment of the child.
However, recent research has revealed the potential benefit of certain medicinal mushrooms to treat this condition and help alleviate some of its symptoms.
Out of the several mushrooms that can be used to treat autism, reishi has the most potential. Here's what you need to know.
Introduction to Behavioral Disorders
Behavioral disorders are infamously challenging to treat. They can significantly negatively impact the individual experiencing it, the family, etc.
Though the treatment is usually a versatile multidisciplinary effort, medicinal mushroom supplements are known to have tremendous therapeutic potential in autism.
Reishi mushroom is one of the most popular medicinal mushrooms over the centuries to treat various diseases and disorders. In Chinese culture, reishi is known as Queen Healer and the mushroom of immortality.
Reishi is very effective in treating mental disorders such as ASD and ADHD due to its relaxing effect; it also boosts memory and enhances remembering.
Other types of mushrooms like lions's mane, chaga, and cordyceps are also used to treat these mental conditions.
What is Autism?
Autism is a complex neurodevelopmental disorder that impairs the ability of an individual to communicate and interact at a very young age. This eventually changes everything about the child, how he plays, learns, and communicates.
Autism impacts the nervous system, thus affecting the individual's overall cognitive, emotional, social, and physical health.
Being a rather complex, varying disorder, ASD is still poorly understood. It was first recognized during early childhood in the form of a multi-organ system disability caused by impaired neurogenesis and apoptosis, imbalanced excitatory-inhibition system, or impaired synaptogenesis and synaptic pruning.
There is no direct medical cure for ASD and ADHD. Still, a combination of behavioral therapies and medicinal mushrooms has shown a great result in treating these conditions.
Features of Autism and ADHD
Autism Spectrum Disorder has the following characteristics:
- ASD is a childhood disorder that progresses as the kid grows.
- A child who has ASD faces problems in social interaction with others.
- Unusual interest in objects.
- Children suffering from ASD have very intense and prolonged emotional reactions.
- Children are noticed to have repeated body movements or actions. Children repeatedly do the same thing and even talk about topics that interest them.
- Changes in routine are the last thing to be done in the case of ASD, affecting mental health that could affect the perception of sameness.
- ASD causes a strong reaction to one or more of their five senses.
Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder has the following characteristics:
- Easily distracted and having difficulties focusing on any task.
- Having problems with time management.
- Avoiding tasks that demand a lot of focus and interest.
- Always active and on the go, ADHD affects the state of a still mind.
- Hyperactivity like running and climbing at an inappropriate time.
Mainstream Therapies for Autism
When it comes to Autism Spectrum Disorder, there are only limited mainstream treatment options available, these include:
- Behavioral therapy (ABA)
- Drugs such as risperidone and aripiprazole are used to relieve behavioral, anxiety issues, etc.
- Speech therapy, occupational therapy, and physical therapy help build communication and motor skills.
Many therapists, doctors, and researchers have come to develop and recommend a vast range of other medications and therapies that can be incredibly helpful for symptoms related to autism.
Keep in mind that while all of these treatments can be helpful, none can cure autism. Not to mention the harsh reality of the drugs, which may cause significant side effects.
A therapist or counselor can help the patient suffering from such behavioral disorder, develop or enhance a wide range of skills, such as:
- Making and following rules and regulations.
- Building a relationship, firstly between the therapist and himself, and then maintaining the relationships.
- Developing and following a schedule and routine.
- Planning and completing tasks and focusing on the process.
Even a weekly therapy session can create more impact by developing constructive behavior in the parents, which eventually helps the child.
Benefits of Medicinal Mushrooms
Medicinal mushrooms are fungi, with over 100 species in modern Chinese medicine. They have been around for centuries and are used mainly in Asia for various healing purposes.
From ancient civilization to the modern world, much has changed about and around mushrooms among human beings. Still, the medicinal properties of mushrooms have made a tremendous impact over the past years on painting the complete picture of medicinal mushrooms in the human mind.
Some benefits of medicinal include:
- They are rich in calcium, magnesium, healthy fats, and other nutrients.
- Oxidants in medicinal mushrooms help prevent oxidative stress and cell damage in the human body.
- Medicinal mushrooms boost the immune system, relax the mind and body, and strengthen metabolism.
- Boosts body rest and repair system.
- Mushrooms also nourish beauty and improve skin due to their anti-inflammatory properties.
- Medicinal mushrooms boost memory and enhance remembering.
- Speeds up nervous system recovery.
Medicinal mushrooms have shown remarkable results in the treatment of several severe disorders like:
- Alzheimer's disease
- IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease)
- High cholesterol
- Liver, colon, stomach, and blood cancer
- Various cases of paralysis and mental functionality
- Autism and ADHD
Medicinal Mushrooms for Behavioral Disorders
The reishi mushroom is widely popular for having a significant impact on cases related to Autism and ADHD. As a result, mushroom supplements for autism are in high demand. All of this goodness while having multiple intake options.
The reishi mushroom is also known as the mushroom of immortality in Chinese culture. Its medicinal qualities help people with heart disease, cancer, etc.
Reishi helps in treating and regulating the complex symptomatology of ASD and ADHD. It also helps rewire our brain in a healthy way by reducing the death of brain cells, boosting the growth of new brain cells, and stimulating the activity of the brain cells.
This mushroom is also known to improve gut health, thus boosting the immune system and improving cognition.
ASD and ADHD are mental conditions that come into existence in childhood and grow with the person. They lead to problems in socializing and communication, lack of focus, lack of management, anxiety, stress, intense emotional reaction, etc.
There is no direct medical cure for ADS and ADHD, as it's a state of mind more than a disorder. Still, there is a highly effective combination of therapy, medicinal mushrooms, and balanced nutrition that can efficiently treat children suffering from ADS and ADHD.
Reishi mushroom is the most effective for ADS and ADHD, among other medicinal mushrooms. When combined with proper therapy from behavioral therapists and parents and family, a drastic improvement in the cases of people suffering from these conditions can be seen.